A late 18th century Coade stone keystone

A late 18th century Coade stone keystone

0.00

'A late 18th century Coade stone maskhead keystone depicting a turbaned female bust described in the Coade catalogue as a wood nymph’ the tapering base impressed with the factory mark 'COADE LONDON 1793’. Similar examples of this model can be found set into the doorway arches in a number of late 18th century houses in Southernhay West and Fore Street Exeter. These particularly fine 18th century three-storey red brick houses were designed by Matthew Nostworthy in1789. Coade stone was a type of artificial cast stone taking its name from Mrs Eleanor Coade (1733-1840) whose foundry at Lambeth became the leading manufacturer, producing a vast range of architectural and garden ornaments, decorative details and furnishing for interiors and also a number of funerary monuments and commemorative statues.

STOCK NUMBER 3653

Measurements
WIDTH: 11 INS (28 CMS)
HEIGHT: 11 ½ INS (36 CMS)
DEPTH: 7 INS (18 CMS)

Add To Cart