A 17thc German wrought iron screen, Nuremburg

A 17thc German wrought iron screen, Nuremburg


A rare 17th century German wrought iron screen from Nuremburg, circa 1690. Restored.

In the late 19th century the screen was brought back from Nuremberg having been purchased by the Reverend William Herbert Seddon from a local antique dealer J.Christian Wohlbold who also supplied a number of pieces to the Germanisches National Museum. In 1890 he donated it to St Mary’s Church, Painswick, Gloucester* and it remained in use as the chancel screen until repairs to the church necessitated its removal in the 1940s.

 The six panels are filled by a series of intricate and interlaced geometrical patterns combined with incised leafy fronds and foliage. The two central panels are surmounted by an elaborate crest of scrolling leafy tendrils and stylised winged cherubs flanked by foliated and spiral pinnacles. This elaborate cresting originally extended across the flanking side panels, as can be seen in a photograph taken of the screen in situ in 1910. 

 Similar examples of this kind of decorative wrought ironwork can be found in the Germanisches National museum and the Victoria & Albert museum but the closest parallel is a pair of wrought iron gates dated 1649 in front of one of the portals on the south side of St Lorenz Church, Nuremberg.

This magnificent screen, a rare survival outside Nuremburg, demonstrates, despite losses and minor restorations, the skill of the blacksmith at the highest level.

 *Hyett, Francis A’Glimpses of the History of Painswick’ pp 40-41 1928


WIDTH: 17FT.9 INS (5M.46 CMS)


Add To Cart